Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Using Acrylic Paint On Your Paper Crafting Projects

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

I can not believe we are into January already!! Where did my time go? I instruct a scrapbooking class the 2nd Friday of every other month in my home. This month we will be meeting at the NEW Scrapbooking store inde-scrap-able! in Sandy on Friday. Michelle has a nice sized workroom so I'm hoping we'll fit a little better then we do in my home.

I will be showing how to use Acrylic Paint on your layouts. I find it to be a great alternative to sanding or tearing for a distressed or aged look. I like to use WHITE and add a few drops of Close To My Heart stamp pad reinker for custom colors to match my layouts perfectly. Since everyone selects different color schemes for their pages, we'll just be using white this week.

Layouts are from IMAGINE page 44 THREE-PART HARMONY
Required WHAT TO BRING LIST:

2 - 12x12 base pages (These are the pages we do the layering on top of. The bases are very visible so you may choose a color to use rather then just white).
2 - different patterns of 12x12 papers (2 sheets total each a different coordinating pattern)
3 - 12x12 cardstock papers (2 are the SAME color and 1 different color)
Paper Trimmer
ADHESIVE
(if you forget yours or run out I will have extra available for sale at catalog prices)
Pencil
Scissors

OPTIONAL Supply Items
Ribbon
Photo Hangers
Accessories
Distressing items (coordinating ink, sand paper, edge distressor)
*PHOTOS -- layout uses 3 - 6x4 photos vertical; 2 - 3x2.5 photos vertical; 1 -2x2
*Title block is 2.5x5.5
*Journal block is 1x9

*I have altered the orientation of my layout to better accomodate my pictures. I used 2 photos trimmed to 3.75x5.75 to sit horizontal, 1 photo 4x6 horizontal, 1 photo 6x4 vertical, 1 photo 2.75x2.75.
My title and journal blocks are not placed how the layout photos are.




Acrylic Paint can be applied by dapping, swiping, painting, brushing, sponging or stamping your images. You can add the paint to your papers or even your embellishments (brads, ribbons, chipboard elements, buttons, etc) -- really, the possibilities are endless!

You might choose to use Acrylic Paint in lieu of chalks, inks, sanding/distressing.

  • Squirt a little paint on to your paint palette found in the Close To My Heart Distressing Kit.
  • Mix in reinker if you'd like color, or leave it white.

The Distressing Kit comes with several different tools you can use as applicators. For our class I'm just using the flat paint brush.

  • Dab the paint brush into the paint, then dab it off to the side to get the bulk of it back off the brush. I am going for subtle accents, you can always add more paint back on but I suggest you start light.
  • Gently brush the edges of your pages with the paint. Don't worry about perfection -- this technique does not have a correct way. Press a little more on areas you wish to be whiter. Use a gently touch for areas you just want that slight sanded look.
Acrylic Paint dries REALLY fast so you can add your page elements right away.

  • Another option is to brush a little paint onto your stamps themselves and stamp them directly onto the paper or title block. I would use a foam brush for this and dab it onto the stamp.
  • Painting makes a great photo mat -- you can brush some directly onto the edges of your photo, to the edges of the paper mat, or directly onto the page background.
  • To paint your embellishments, add paint and leave it or cover it with a gloss overcoat. Custom colored page accents.
  • Perhaps you are out of your favorite shade of cardstock. Add a little paint to alter the color of something else you have. Or paint over it with white as a primer and then paint again in a coordinating color to complete your project.
  • Maybe your pattern is a little too bold for the project you have in mind -- go over it with a light coat of white paint to soften it up.
  • Don't have reinker? Paint your paper with white paint then sponge your stamp pad color over it. Chalk also adheres to the paint quite nicely.
So many possibilites to be found with Acrylic Paint and your paper projects! I hadn't tried it out until I did these layouts but I'm LOVING the ease of this technique. Acrylic Paint is inexpensive -- just a $1.95 through Close To My Heart. The distressing kit comes with paint and brushes....

Distressing Kit (page 102 of the Spring 2009 Idea Book) Z1299 $35.95
Comes with the following:
6 texture tools (2 foam, 2 stipple, 1 sea sponge, 1 black stubble)
6 pieces of sand paper
3 paint brushes (1" flat, 1" foam, 1" fan)
2 distressing ink pads (black and chocolate)
1 Delta Ceramcoat acrylic paint (2 oz)
1 edge distresser
1 sanding block
1 emery board
1 paint tray with mixing sticks
1 frosted plastic carrying box

No comments: